I came home from work one day and busted out the stripper and stripped the old gunk off it. It took me three coats of stripper to remove the old varnish. Then I planned on using steel wool & sandpaper and finishing it up. My sweet husband came home from work and volunteered to help me sand. I'm definitely not turning that down! He used the orbital sander and left it in one place for too long and it completely removed the veneer from one spot about 6" wide. He asked if that was a problem and if I'd be able to stain over it. Unfortunately, there was nothing I could do with that. There was no veneer and no grain, nothing for me to stain. The wood underneath the veneer is poplar and it's just not flattering.
So I went to our local woodworking specialty store and spend $60 on a roll of cherry veneer. The thought of unrolling it and having to put it on scared me to death! The veneer that I have always used for repair work was very, very thin and broke if you looked at it. My dad came over and helped me remove all the old stuff from it. He believes in using old fashioned scrapers instead of sandpaper. It takes a lot longer but it would save me a TON of money if I actually used them.
The man that sold me the veneer told me to apply Titebond II to the back of the veneer & to the top of the buffet. He said to let the glue dry completely and then put the veneer on the buffet. Then he said to put aluminum foil on top, turn the iron on medium high heat and iron the whole thing.
I asked a friend of ours how to do it and he told me to do something totally different. He said to use contact cement instead of glue. We took his advice.
Here are our supplies. 14 dowel rods, a utility knife, a 2 ft long piece of 4" PVC pipe, a quart of contact cement and the cherry veneer. I used a 3" paintbrush and painted the contact cement on the buffet. Then I did the same with the back of the veneer. I let it dry completely.