Sunday, April 8, 2012

Go Big or Go...Blue?

I bought a quart of Aubusson Blue paint a few weeks ago. I had no plans for it and wasn't even sure if it was something that I was going to use. I was just very intrigued by the color. After attending Annie Sloan's workshop, I wanted to buy a quart of every color she makes. I also decided after seeing Aubusson in person that I was going to paint something with it. I wasn't sure what yet though.
Then I bought this desk.




I was just going to put it up for sale and let the buyer tell me what color they wanted it painted. Yesterday, I started stripping the top of it. It had a few scratches and dings, nothing major. I stripped the top and removed the veneer & glue from it. Then this morning, I put wood conditioner on it, three coats of kona stain, two coats of dark walnut stain and two coats of polyurethane.
I painted the body and drawer Aubusson Blue, put clear wax on it, distressed it, put dark wax on. I also removed the hardware and spray painted it with oil-rubbed bronze paint. I must say, I love this piece of furniture and I think the color is amazing! It would be great as a sofa table or desk. It is currently for sale for $175.





I linked up with Coastal Charm, Elizabeth & Co and Shades of Amber

3 comments:

  1. That is a really pretty piece in a great shade of blue! And the top looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This piece is stunning! I love the color and how artfully you added the dark wax to bring out the detail. This is chalk paint done right!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete