Saturday, February 11, 2012

Deal of the Century!!

Most people will think I'm weird or old or both when they read this post. I have been wanting a turntable for quite some time now, years in fact. Okay, maybe 2 decades to be exact. I love The Beatles and would love to be able to play my records. CD's just aren't the same. Can I get an Amen?
Anyway, since we moved in this house, my favorite Beatles albums have been proudly displayed in my craft room/office. They look great framed. After all, they are works of art.


A few weeks ago I went to an estate sale looking for a Victrola. I thought why not? It's a piece of furniture and a record player all in one. I got there and found one that was quite lovely. The price tag said $300 OBO. I asked someone how much they would take for it and she said a guy had offered them $200. I seriously contemplated going to the ATM but then I realized, I didn't need it. I knew something else would come along one day....something cheaper.
Well, I was on Facebook the other day and there's a page where people in my town buy and sell items from other locals. Lots of great deals out there, but none as good as this. A lady posted one of these contraptions that's a turntable/radio/CD player/cassette player all in one AND you can plug your iPod into it too. BONUS! She was only asking $5 for it! Yes, $5!! You read that right, $5! She said it was brand new but doesn't get power. I'm by no means an electrician BUT I knew that no power was (a) quite possibly operator error (b) a very simple fix or (c) my dad could come over and fix it in under an hour. I figured for $5, why not take my chances? If I didn't get it to work, it would look great just sitting around.
So I went to her house and picked it up off the porch. The top of the turntable was propped open and I immediately thought, okay this joker doesn't even close?
I put it in the car and drove home. I took it out, sat it on my kitchen counter and plugged it in.
Like I said before, I don't know anything about electricity but after I plugged it in I thought, there's a volume knob, why not turn that and see what happens. HA!!
Yeah, it came right on and has the greatest sound! I turned on the CD player and one of Billy Joel's Greatest Hits CD's was in there. That happens to be one of my all time favorite CD's. Can this deal get any better? I mean, if Paul McCartney had popped out and sang a song to me on bended knee, then yes, it would have gotten better. Aside from that, I was good as gold.
And by the way, the top closes just fine too.

No comments:

Post a Comment